25 May The Importance of Water After Bariatric Surgery
The Importance of Water After Bariatric Surgery
Water is vital for good health of our body. It keeps our body cells, hair and skin hydrated and also important for eliminating waste from our body.
Post Bariatric Surgery you should follow these guidelines to ensure you stay well hydrated :
- Drink at least 2 to 3 Litres of water/liquid daily.
- Avoid drinking sugary beverages especially in the initial stage of recovery. In the later stage, one can drink but not more than 5 calories per 230 ml serving.
- One should not take more than 230 to 470 ml caffeinated beverages.
- per day.
- If you drink coffee or tea, keep it sugar and fat free.
- Water/fluids should be taken around 30 minutes before the meal but not with meals. You can drink water/ fluids 30 to 60 minutes after the meal.
Signs You’re dehydrated…
- The color of your urine can tell you if you need to drink more. Urine should be close to the shade of lemonade, and that you should drink more water if it’s any darker.
- Other indications of dehydration are:
- dry skin
- muscle cramping
- As we grow older, our thirst mechanism gets weaker with age. So keep check on your water intake is very important to avoid dehydration.
- Foods like cucumber, watermelon etc which have high water content can also help to keep you well hydrated
- So although you may have to run to your nearest bathroom more often than usual, Drinking sufficient water especially on hot days is worth it.
Stay cool and drink up.
For any queries, you can write to Dr Amit Garg ( Bariatric & Metabolic Surgeon, Chandigarh, India) at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91 7986991767, +91 6283337650