24 Nov Hernia Surgery in Mohali Punjab
Hernia Surgery in Mohali, Punjab
Hernia surgery, also known as herniorrhaphy, is a common procedure that addresses hernias where an organ protrudes through a weakened muscle or tissue wall. Most hernias occur in the abdomen or groin. The surgical approach involves repositioning the displaced organ and reinforcing the surrounding barrier using stitches or surgical mesh.
Who Needs Hernia Repair?
Dr Amit Garg, best laparoscopic surgeon in Mohali, shares, “ Not all hernias necessitate immediate intervention, but they tend to worsen over time and can lead to discomfort or complications.” “Depending on their location, hernias can impact adjacent organs and cause various issues. For instance, in men, a hernia may extend into the scrotum, resulting in swelling and discomfort during activities like intercourse. Surgery may be recommended when a hernia causes symptoms or poses a risk of complications”. Dr Amit Garg, best laparoscopic surgeon in Mohali added.
Types of Hernia Surgery:The primary types of hernia surgery include
- Open (Traditional) Hernia Repair Surgery in Mohali: In this approach, a single incision is made to access the herniated tissue. The surgeon repositions the organ and tissue, strengthening the weakened area with sutures and often employing surgical mesh for added support.
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Surgery in Mohali: This minimally invasive method involves several small incisions, typically three or four. A tiny camera (laparoscope) is inserted to provide visual guidance, and surgical instruments are used to repair the hernia through the incisions.
- Robotic Hernia Repair Surgery in Mohali: A variant of laparoscopic surgery, this technique utilizes robotic instruments operated by a surgeon from a console. It allows precise manipulation to address the weakened tissue causing the hernia.
- Before the procedure, your surgeon reviews your medical history and medications, orders necessary tests, and provides preparation instructions.
- During surgery, you receive anesthesia appropriate for the type of procedure, ensuring you are pain-free and comfortable.
- The surgeon performs the necessary incisions, repositions the herniated tissue, repairs the weakened area, and may use surgical mesh for reinforcement.
- After surgery, most patients are discharged on the same day, with some complex cases requiring a hospital stay of one to two nights.
Risks / Benefits
Benefits of Hernia Surgery: Hernia surgery is generally safe and effective, repairing the hernia and reducing the risk of recurrence. Research indicates that only a minority of individuals (approximately 16%) require additional surgery due to hernia recurrence within a decade after the initial procedure. Laparoscopic and robotic surgery offer advantages such as reduced scarring, fewer pain medications, and quicker recovery compared to open surgery.
Risks and Complications: Potential short-term complications include infection, seromas, hematomas, injury to nearby tissues, and temporary bladder issues. Long-term complications may involve mesh-related problems or deep-seated infections. Some individuals may experience prolonged post-surgery pain, termed post-herniorrhaphy neuralgia, which may necessitate medication or further surgical intervention.
Recovery from Hernia Surgery: Recovery duration varies based on the hernia type and surgical complexity. Most individuals can return to less physically demanding work within a few days and engage in light exercise, like walking, the day after the procedure. Physical activity should be gradually increased as healing progresses, with timelines personalized based on job requirements and overall health.
Dr. Amit Garg, the Founder and Director of CODSILS, is widely recognized as one of the best advanced laparoscopic surgeons in Northern India. He is known to have handled many complex cases in general surgery especially laparoscopic hernia repair.
Laparoscopic GI Surgery Services at CODSILS
- Laparoscopic Ventral Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Umbilical Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Hiatus Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Gallbladder Removal (Cholecystectomy)
- Laparoscopic Appendicectomy (Appendix Removal)
- Laparoscopic CBD Exploration
- Laparoscopic Fundoplication (Acidity Surgery)
- Laparoscopic Adhesiolysis
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Rectopexy
- Laparoscopic Splenectomy
- Single Incision (Zero Scar) Laparoscopic Surgery
You can reach Dr Amit Garg – Best Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mohali (Hernia Surgery in Mohali) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at helpline number +91 6283337650